Friday, November 1, 2013

Emma Newell



I went to Bayview Cemetery today to photograph the grave of Emma Newell.  She is in section 3.
 This is what section 3 looks like from the road.  

It was overcast today, and I don't know if it was that, or that many of the stones are worn down and covered with lichen, but it was hard to read the names on the stones.  I was glad to find it.  I wish I had brought my brush to clean it off with.  
Hesper Newell's ashes are there as well, but she does not have a marker.  I think Emma is my great grandmother.  I wonder who Hesper is.  All I know is that she died 2/6/1953 and her middle name is Julia.

While I was there I asked about preneed plans.  It seems like it makes sense to get to enjoy your grave before you die.  Of course they are expensive.  It costs $1,500 for a grave plot at Bayview and a really awesome grave marker could run you as much as $20,000.


2 comments:

  1. I think Hesper was born in 1881.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turns out I am not related to Emma, and Hesper is her daughter. I looked up Emma's obituary and Jere's, who I thought was her husband, and he was married to another Emily Newell, who sometimes went by Emma.

    ReplyDelete